what do gsrne
All dog rescue groups need volunteers to operate successfully,
and German Shepherd Rescue of New England, Inc. (GSRNE) is no exception!
Volunteering a little bit of your time goes a long way in helping a needy German
Volunteering for GSRNE can be anything as simple as distributing
some flyers about GSRNE to local vet offices, grooming businesses,
kennels, etc., to handing out information about GSRNE at a local event such as a
dog show or craft fair, to transporting dogs from one local destination to
another, to helping us build our mailing list of German Shepherd owners in New
England, to fostering a homeless German Shepherd Dog.
There are many other volunteer activities which can be fun as
well as helpful as you meet people and talk about our favorite subject: German
Please consider becoming a member of GSRNE and volunteering some
of your time, whether it be for an hour one weekend, or for days fostering, or
anything in-between. We'd love to have your help in aiding wonderful German
Shepherd Dogs find happiness in new, permanent homes.
pup and the older dog lay on shaded sweet grass watching the reunions. Sometimes
a man, sometimes a woman, sometimes a whole family would approach the Rainbow
Bridge, be greeted by their loving pets and cross the bridge together.
The young pup playfully nipped at the older one.
"Look! Something wonderful is happening!"
The older dog stood up and barked, "Quickly — Get over to the path."
"But that's not my person," whined the pup, but he did as he was told.
Thousands of pets surged forward as a figure in white walked on the
path toward the bridge. After the glowing figure passed each animal, that
animal bowed its head in love and respect. The figure finally approached
the bridge, and was met by a menagerie of joyous animals. Together, they
all walked over the bridge and disappeared.
The young pup was still in awe. "Was that an angel?" he whispered.
"No, son," the older dog replied. "That was more than an angel. That was a person who worked in rescue."
If you are interested in helping out, please download this
Volunteer Form, fill it out and send it in. We welcome you aboard!
Here are a few of the jobs we may need help with.
- Desktop Publishing
- Editing newsletter, researching or writing newsletter articles
- Making a short "What We're Doing" monthly newsletter
- Staffing Hotline Calls; Returning Phone Calls
- Correspondence/Thank you notes
- Office: secretarial, supplies management, database management, website
- Work with other members staffing Informational/Educational Booths at Public Places (events, pet
stores, dog shows, etc.)
- GSRNE Event Planning (Committee work)
- GSRNE Event Staffing (Day of event only work)
- Greeting new GSRNE members/Welcome Waggin' follow-up
- Soliciting and orienting new volunteers
- Help with Christmas gift wrapping events
- Help out at our Dog Walk or Auction
- Inventory Management (Keep track of inventory)
Dog or Adoption Related:
- Working with local Shelters and Animal Control Officers to identify GSDs
- Coordinating evaluation and intake of new foster dogs
requires good organizational and interviewing skills
requires good knowledge of GSD breed
- Evaluating Dogs in regional Shelters (needs
- Transportation - Specify locale, type of vehicle, general distance you'd
- Be a Foster home for GSRNE rescue dog
- Be a Buddy (pay for food, toys, supplies,
- Coordinate the Buddy Program (arranging for foster dog
care, food and supplies)
- Adoption Applicant Home Visits/Follow-up Visits
- Checking References (New Foster Homes or Adoption Applicants)
- Matching rescue dogs with Adoption Applicants and arranging adoptions
requires good people and interview skills
requires general dog training knowledge in house manners, etc
–familiarity with GSDs as pet dogs
- Photographing Dogs available for Adoption or at events
- Grooming help if you are a professional groomer
- Fundraising Director
- Chair Dog walk
- Chair Auction
- Auction Database Manager (this job is a key piece in
- Online Fundraising Coordinator (Café Press, eBay)
- Crafts or Artwork for Fundraising
- Have other ideas? Let us know what you would like to do.
There are many other jobs that we can use help with. Many of
these don't take a lot of time, just someone dependable that can give some
time as needed. Please drop us a line if you can help us! We
always need more help.